Indigo Renderer 3.8.5 Beta Release

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
h2o2
3D Software: Blender

Re: Indigo Renderer 3.8.5 Beta Release

Post by h2o2 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Oscar J wrote:Glad i didn't update then!
I'm sure you do ! ;)

Hopefully it's something that can be set with an update of Qt ?

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:03 pm

StompinTom wrote:For scenes with loads of instances, could there be an option to group objects that reference the same mesh in the UI? The list gets very long with 1 000 000 instances!

Also, any sample ISL code for mesh scattering available?
Have attached an example scene.
Attachments
scatter_on_displacement_test.pigs
(205.42 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

aleksandera

Post by aleksandera » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Is there a way to make a change in the compositing window so that
both images would be 100 % visible - the background image and the overlay rendered image?

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
StompinTom wrote:For scenes with loads of instances, could there be an option to group objects that reference the same mesh in the UI? The list gets very long with 1 000 000 instances!

Great!

Is it possible to define multiple target object uids? Or would it be more correct to make a separate scatter for each target object? Just thinking of two different objects occupying same position...

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:09 am

StompinTom wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:

Great!

Is it possible to define multiple target object uids? Or would it be more correct to make a separate scatter for each target object? Just thinking of two different objects occupying same position...
Making multiple different scatters should work.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:48 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
StompinTom wrote:
Great!

Making multiple different scatters should work.
Seems quite slow to warm up: I changed the density to 200 and it choked for a while. Spent a lot of time subdividing then didn't get past processing the environment map... Not trying it on my best setup as I am overseas atm, so could just be a technical issue on my side.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:50 am

Hi Tom,
Bear in mind that the density is number of objects per square metre.
So if you have a large area, that will be a lot of objects. (with a density of 200 objects/m^2).

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:43 am

OnoSendai wrote:Hi Tom,
Bear in mind that the density is number of objects per square metre.
So if you have a large area, that will be a lot of objects. (with a density of 200 objects/m^2).
I know, I'm mostly whining :) It would be great to be able to do 10 000 blades of grass / m^2, for example, but I suppose even that gets out of hand quite quickly :P

kklors

Post by kklors » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:41 pm

Tom you work with Blender right? In case you don't I can highly recommend Carbon Scatter 2.

I know it's not a solution to suggest other workarounds or a purchase, but quite honestly no matter what 3d program or scatterer I ever had to deal with in my lifetime, CS just blows everything out of the water so hard it's not even funny. It works great with Indigo as well and exports very fast too.

Can't speak for Maya, but if you happen to do stuff with Max or C4D as well I'd really say if you once have it, there's no way back. (Not an e-on salesman here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ2NEmlOPYw

Made some viewport speedtests a month or so ago. The lower left is C4D's render instances.
http://abload.de/img/plugincomparisonkjjqn.jpg

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:51 pm

kklors wrote:Tom you work with Blender right? In case you don't I can highly recommend Carbon Scatter 2.

I know it's not a solution to suggest other workarounds or a purchase, but quite honestly no matter what 3d program or scatterer I ever had to deal with in my lifetime, CS just blows everything out of the water so hard it's not even funny. It works great with Indigo as well and exports very fast too.

Can't speak for Maya, but if you happen to do stuff with Max or C4D as well I'd really say if you once have it, there's no way back. (Not an e-on salesman here.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ2NEmlOPYw

Made some viewport speedtests a month or so ago. The lower left is C4D's render instances.
http://abload.de/img/plugincomparisonkjjqn.jpg
Ah unfortunately I work almost exclusively with Blender + Rhino these days :P Haven't had much reason to switch, and it's hard enough to get into two APIs as it is! I've had to do a lot of pure production lately, so I've just had to buckle down with what I know in order to get everything out. Will take a look at CS though, sounds interesting!

fourzeronine

Post by fourzeronine » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:36 pm

displacement maps with blended materials crash every time. :-(

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:32 pm

fourzeronine wrote:displacement maps with blended materials crash every time. :-(
There was a crash when changing displacement in the GUI, this is fixed now for the next release.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 pm

I might be wrong, but are there enough reflections in the arch glass? My window and glass panels are looking more like soap bubbles than glass ATM.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:21 pm

Oscar J wrote:I might be wrong, but are there enough reflections in the arch glass? My window and glass panels are looking more like soap bubbles than glass ATM.
I already used this feature quite frequently in my latest projects and am very happy with the results!
Arch glass doesn't work well for curved glass, only plane simple windows or glass tables.

A quick comparison render with ArchGlass enabled and disabled should proof if its working correctly :)

fourzeronine

Post by fourzeronine » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:21 pm

OnoSendai wrote:
fourzeronine wrote:displacement maps with blended materials crash every time. :-(
There was a crash when changing displacement in the GUI, this is fixed now for the next release.
Thank you. :-)

35 posts