Indigo Renderer 3.2.0

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: Indigo Renderer 3.2.0

Post by Pibuz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:24 am

OnoSendai wrote:Hi all,
We're happy to announce a beta of the next version of Indigo - 3.2.0.
We will be releasing betas in the 3.2.x series until we reach a 3.2 stable release of Indigo Renderer and Indigo RT.

UPDTAE: updated mac build. Now works on 10.7.
Indigo Renderer:
Windows 32 bit: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/beta ... _Setup.exe
Windows 64 bit: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/beta ... _Setup.exe
Mac OSX 10.5+: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/beta ... r3.2.0.dmg
Indigo RT:
Windows 32 bit: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/beta ... _Setup.exe
Windows 64 bit: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/beta ... _Setup.exe
Mac OSX 10.5+: http://www.indigorenderer.com/dist/beta ... T3.2.0.dmg
Hi Ono: there is a typo in the UPDATE word.
And to avoid misunderstandings, I'd change the Mac OSX entry with 10.7.X in the lower installers link details

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:38 am

Pibuz wrote:Hi guys!
Wonderful mood change between the old sky and the new one! VEEEERY GOOD!

..but I must report that the new sky is limited to a half-sphere. The old sky model (in skindigo it's called "legacy sky") worked well, and still does if enabled.

See attachments. Thanks!!!
Hi Pibuz,
Leaving the bottom hemisphere black in the new sky model was intentional. However, I can change it if need be. Would it be more helpful if it was e.g. a ground colour?

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:45 am

OnoSendai wrote:

..but I must report that the new sky is limited to a half-sphere. The old sky model (in skindigo it's called "legacy sky") worked well, and still does if enabled.

Hi Pibuz,
Leaving the bottom hemisphere black in the new sky model was intentional. However, I can change it if need be. Would it be more helpful if it was e.g. a ground colour?
Would be great if it was just an extension of the horizon sky color. It really helps in pretty well any scene where you have the camera above the horizon and the horizon isn't all covered up by geometry. It's terrible having a big black band behind your scene...

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:50 am

StompinTom wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:

Hi Pibuz,
Would be great if it was just an extension of the horizon sky color. It really helps in pretty well any scene where you have the camera above the horizon and the horizon isn't all covered up by geometry. It's terrible having a big black band behind your scene...
Hi Tom,
The problem with extending the horizon colour downwards, is that the horizon can be quite bright, and extending it downwards makes the lower hemisphere disproportionately bright. What about extending it downwards but blending it into a darker ground colour, such as grey or green?

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:53 am

Just empty sky would be the best for me (kinda as it was previously), for the cases Tom pointed out.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:59 am

OnoSendai wrote:
StompinTom wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:
Hi Pibuz,
Hi Tom,
The problem with extending the horizon colour downwards, is that the horizon can be quite bright, and extending it downwards makes the lower hemisphere disproportionately bright. What about extending it downwards but blending it into a darker ground colour, such as grey or green?
Perhaps if it faded to a neutral grey? The thing is that usually the scene has a floor/ground which masks illumination from the bottom hemisphere anyway... Even if the horizon was dragged down only about 10-15 degrees, before fading to black/grey, it would help 90% of the cases where you see a slight bit below the horizon just because your scene doesn't extend to infinity.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:01 am

StompinTom wrote:floor/ground which masks illumination from the bottom hemisphere anyway... Even if the horizon was dragged down only about 10-15 degrees, before fading to black/grey, it would help 90% of the cases where you see a slight bit below the horizon just because your scene doesn't extend to infinity.
Hi Tom,
I'll do some experiments with fading to grey. (or maybe the 'average' sky colour, .i.e. the colour a grey surface would be if lit by the sky)

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:08 am

OnoSendai wrote:
StompinTom wrote:floor/ground which masks illumination from the bottom hemisphere anyway... Even if the horizon was dragged down only about 10-15 degrees, before fading to black/grey, it would help 90% of the cases where you see a slight bit below the horizon just because your scene doesn't extend to infinity.
Hi Tom,
I'll do some experiments with fading to grey. (or maybe the 'average' sky colour, .i.e. the colour a grey surface would be if lit by the sky)
Thanks Nick!

Would be cool to eventually see your method for generating sky data as a plugin or standalone app with some of those old cloud tests and a spherical camera and things to generate different sky maps :) Could be a neat toy to simplify making cool custom skies for your Indigo (and other) renders!

EDIT: Then again, I suppose that's what programs like Terragen are there for.

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:12 am

The new sky model looks fantastic, Ono!
I agree with Tom that a neutral grey could be the best solution. Indirect illumination from below is not sky blue, except on water scenes.
Maybe a user-defined color in the exporters might be the most elegant solution.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:13 am

OnoSendai wrote:
Hi Tom,
There's something I had in mind, if background settings would allow blend maps for environments on the same layer then it could be possible to pick an arbitrary env map for its bottom half and blend the skylight above.

Can this be done ?

djegoo
Indigo 100

Post by djegoo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 am

Good job Indigo team ! thanks

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 am

Hmm.. how do you access the new sky?

Also I agree with indigo having a way to clean out unused materials, specially when you use GPU if you keep adding materials to the scene, even if you are replacing already existing ones, eventually you run out of memory.

It would be nice for new materials to have Colour checked by default.

SSS seems to be a lot faster on PT with GPU

x64 on win7

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:07 am

snorky wrote:1) a gui bug: where is "render settings tab"!?!??!
crop.jpg
Hi Snorky,
This one is tricky to replicate. Can you tell us exact instructions to replicate the bug?

Thanks!

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:13 am

OnoSendai wrote:
snorky wrote:1) a gui bug: where is "render settings tab"!?!??!
crop.jpg
Hi Snorky,
This one is tricky to replicate. Can you tell us exact instructions to replicate the bug?

Thanks!
Ah, nevermind, can replicate it now.

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:12 am

OnoSendai wrote: Hi Pibuz,
any reason why there's no ground plane option to begin with in indigo? (or is there?)

i guess if the entire infinite plane would actually have to render then that's a good reason no to have to option as i guess it would take forever to render but if that's not the reason, what is?

t.hanks

61 posts