Indigo Renderer 3.0 preview video

General News and accouncements regarding the Indigo render engine
ENSLAVER

Re: Indigo Renderer 3.0 preview video

Post by ENSLAVER » Wed May 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Considering I mostly do rendering rather than modeling, I guess this will probably half my setup times, no more re-exporting a ton of geo/maps/hdris/etc just to tweak some small detail :D

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 pm

YES, this looks fantastic!!!
And please, please apply saveable settings for all that stuff inside the GUI!!!

hcpiter
1st Place Winner

Post by hcpiter » Wed May 18, 2011 9:20 pm

Wow ! I`cant wait for this new version ! Its really good, speed is awesome. Realtime camera position and materials is what we need now, will be much easier to get the best settings ! :)
What CPU, memory and GPU are you using guys in presentation ? Because speed is unbelievable.

Meelis

Post by Meelis » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm

What a good tool.
You have been doing good work.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Wed May 18, 2011 9:55 pm

hcpiter wrote:Wow ! I`cant wait for this new version ! Its really good, speed is awesome. Realtime camera position and materials is what we need now, will be much easier to get the best settings ! :)
What CPU, memory and GPU are you using guys in presentation ? Because speed is unbelievable.
I'm more an integration guy, send a scene into indigo, tweak some materials and camera but leave the main app for positioning the camera and do some adjustments to the objects positions while being updated on indigo, but it's a good step

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed May 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey Borgleader, I love to play dumb and see people take me seriously ;) No offense neo0. I hope, sorry you were the victim.

The reason for that humour Pibuz, is that I am waiting for the green light to start answering the basic questions, for real.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Wed May 18, 2011 11:48 pm

pixie wrote:
hcpiter wrote:Wow ! I`cant wait for this new version ! Its really good, speed is awesome. Realtime camera position and materials is what we need now, will be much easier to get the best settings ! :)
I'm more an integration guy, send a scene into indigo, tweak some materials and camera but leave the main app for positioning the camera and do some adjustments to the objects positions while being updated on indigo, but it's a good step
Main reason we decided to buy something else instead of Indigo was lack of plugins or slow development for applications we primary use, Maya (CTzn is doing great here, but I think more people must be involved in development), XSI and Modo. We made decision 6 months ago and situation with these plugins is still same.
This approach in 3.0 could open Indigo to more people, I think, as you do not depend much on plugins development, host app just need to take care about export of geometry, UV mappings and basics scene setup. So even basic plugin can be useful.

pixie
Indigo 100

Post by pixie » Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 am

CoolColJ wrote:
CTZn wrote:There are other means to format your hard drive, neo0.

:mrgreen:

But unbiased hard drive formating is quite rare!
indeed! xD

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu May 19, 2011 3:08 am

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

Regarding the release date, we hope to release a build to the GPU beta group this week and if all goes well the public demo and commercial availability will follow shortly thereafter.

CoolColJ: CUDA is currently performing better than OpenCL - NVIDIA have realised excellent performance increases in their recent driver revisions (for OpenCL as well but CUDA pulls ahead). The demo was recorded with two i7 920s and one Q9300 in network rendering mode; we regularly see over 1M samples per second in many scenes, even without GPU acceleration.

In the coming days we'll release more information about the CUDA and OpenCL modes, besides the general rendering improvements that have been made - and there are a LOT of them!

ior: GPU acceleration is currently limited to single-directional path tracing, however it will eventually support glass acceleration as well, and all the rendering modes have been significantly improved.

Doug: Changing the resolution requires stopping and restarting the render in Indigo after changing the imaging setting, but this is usually very quick (cached tree files, network rendering automagically resumes, etc).

zeitmeister: Yes you can save the modified Indigo scene after editing; the final touch is the lightlayer settings (which I know you want and it's on our TODO list) but it's 99% done.

hcipter: At the end of the video in the realtime camera movement you'll notice the samples per second is lower but the responsivity is better - there GPU mode is disabled. We used GPU acceleration for most of the video however, since the samples/s throughput gain is worth it when you're not constantly resetting the render.

Meelis (and others): Thank you :) It's been really difficult to keep quiet about this stuff for so long while we worked away on it without any visible result, and we're really grateful to you guys for sticking with us during this time!

Pixie: We're going to look at tightening the integration between the modelling apps and Indigo (in fact Doug has already done some great work in this regard), so that bi-directional communication can be achieved.

Camox
2nd Place Winner

Post by Camox » Thu May 19, 2011 3:18 am

AWESOME , great work indigo team ! :D

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Thu May 19, 2011 3:25 am

Awhile back ono mentioned something about adaptive sampling which clears up harder areas (like sss) sooner. Basically, it dedicates more samples to certain areas. Any progress on it?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu May 19, 2011 3:28 am

CTZn wrote:I am waiting for the green light to start answering the basic questions, for real.
Yeah right, lycium does better ^^

juan_irender
Indigo 100

Post by juan_irender » Thu May 19, 2011 3:31 am

Thanks for the answer, Lycium.
A pity OpenCL underperform in relation to CUDA, but anyway Indigo support for OpenCL is good news for ATI (AMD) card owners.

Cheers.

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Thu May 19, 2011 3:39 am

@lycium

That is all excellent information!

It seems that CUDA and even OpenCL are almost always mentioned in combination with Nvidia hardware. A bit of a bummer for iMac users. Having that said I' hope we would not have wait too long for Mac and Linux versions.

I assume that most of Doug's work has been going toward a new Blender 2.5 plugin. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

lycium

Post by lycium » Thu May 19, 2011 4:00 am

We're working on the Mac and Linux versions right now :)

neo0: MLT is how we do adaptive sampling, and it has already been improved a bit for 3.0. Having said that, the 3.x series will certainly see a lot more work on the MLT mode!

140 posts